How You Can Help People Affected by the North Bay Fire
Our prime purpose in life is to help others. - Dalai Lama
While dozens of fire crews go from house to house to save lives, killer wildfires continue to menace North Bay California with 26 dead and hundreds missing. The 21 fires currently burning across the northern part of the state have also destroyed more than 3,500 buildings and torched more than 191,000 acres — a collective area nearly the size of New York City. These wildfires collectively are the deadliest in California’s modern history.
- If there is a wildfire in the area, be ready to evacuate on short notice.
- If you see a wildfire and haven't received evacuation orders yet, call 9-1-1. Don't assume that someone else has already called.
- If ordered to evacuate during a wildfire, do it immediately- make sure and tell someone where you are going and when you have arrived.
- If you or someone you are with has been burned, call 9-1-1 or seek help immediately; cool and cover burns to reduce chance of further injury or infection.
HOW TO HELP RIGHT NOW:
• Santa Rosa has currently met its immediate requirement for volunteers, but they ask that people interested in volunteering or donating as-needed sign up with the Red Cross. The Red Cross has a sign-in sheet here. For Sonoma County, you may call 707-573-3399 if you're hoping to volunteer.
• The Center for Volunteer and Nonprofit Leadership has also been called in to help. If you wish to donate or volunteer, you can register on their website.
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ... “The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something.
Biohazard and Hoarding Cleanup Up
If someone you know or even yourself needs hoarding cleanup, it is best to call the professionals at 707-588-8226.
Hoarders typically collect excessive amount of items such as newspaper, magazines, books, clothing, containers, cardboard, garbage or even rotten food. Often times, people that hoard has difficulty discarding or parting with their possessions because they believe that an item will be useful or valuable in the future. These objects will cover the living areas of the home and cause significant distress. Hoarding can prevent typical use of space and limit activities such as cooking, cleaning, moving through the house, and sleeping. It could potentially put the individual and others at risk of causing fires, falling hazards, poor sanitation, and/or mold growth. Failure to properly remove such substances can contribute to unhealthy and dangerous environments.
SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park’s technicians always wear personal protective equipment (PPE) and are trained to assist in removing and disposing of unsalvageable materials and dispose of them properly in accordance with OSHA and health regulations. Our job is to clean and sanitize in the most efficient and effective way possible to make the living conditions safe and sanitary.
If you or someone you know needs hoarding cleanup, it is best to call in a professional remediation company. SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park has the experience and training to make your home safe and livable again. Call us at 707-588-8226 to learn more about our professional cleanup services.
What to Do Before, During and After an Earthquake
Preparation is a key component for making it through an unexpected disaster.
We all know that earthquakes are a common occurrence in California and other parts of the West Coast regions. But earthquakes can happen at any time of the year and occur without warning. After the initial earthquake, the aftershock may follow. Most are smaller than the initial earthquake but larger magnitude aftershocks also occur. Earthquakes may cause household items to become dangerous projectiles; cause buildings to move off foundations or collapse, damage utilities, roads and structures such as bridges and dams, or cause fires and explosions. They may also trigger landslides, avalanches, and tsunamis.
SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park wants to emphasize the importance of preparation before an earthquake strike. By making an effort to be prepared and having a plan of action in place, you can lessen the impact a disaster might have on you, your home and your family.
Learn and follow these steps now to PREPARE before, during, and after an earthquake.
What to Do Before an Earthquake:
- Make sure you have a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, a battery-powered radio, a flashlight, and extra batteries at home.
- Secure items that could fall or move and cause injuries or damage such as; bookshelves, picture frames, mirrors, light fixtures, televisions, computers, hot water heaters, etc.
- Learn how to turn off the gas, water, and electricity.
- Make up a plan of where to meet your family after an earthquake.
- Don’t leave heavy objects on shelves as they can fall during an earthquake.
- Learn the earthquake plan at your school or workplace.
What to Do During an Earthquake:
- Stay calm and stay put.
- If you’re indoors, DROP to the ground; take COVER by crawling under a sturdy table or stand in a doorway. If under a desk or heavy table, cover your head and neck with your arms and HOLD ON until the shaking stops.
- If there isn’t a desk or sturdy table nearby, crawl away from windows, next to an interior wall. Stay away from glass, windows
- If you’re outdoors, stay away from building, trees, power lines or anything that might fall.
- If you’re driving, move away from overpasses, stop slowly in a safe area and stay in your vehicle.
- Don’t use elevators (they’ll probably get stuck anyway). Don’t run out of the building during the shaking as objects may be falling off the building and cause serious injuries or death.
What to Do After an Earthquake:
- When the shaking stops, check yourself and others for injuries.
- If the building is damaged, safely evacuate, go to an open space away from damaged areas.
- Check water, gas, and electric lines for damage. If any are damaged, shut off the valves to avoid fire and hazardous leaks.
- Be careful of around broken glass and debris
- Inspect your chimneys for unnoticed damaged that could lead to fires.
- Stay away from beaches. Tsunamis and seiches sometimes hit after the ground has stopped shaking.
- If you’re at school or work, follow the emergency plan or the instructions of the person in charge.
If your home or business suffers from earthquake damage, call our professionals at SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park. We can respond quickly and help make disasters, "Like it never even happened."
Any Questions - Call Us Today (707) 665-0822
Help People by Donating to Hurricane Irma
Together we can make a difference. You can help by making a donation to the American Red Cross.
After Hurricane Harvey caused devastation along the Texas coast few weeks ago, Hurricane Irma made landfall in Southwest Florida over the weekend. Hurricane Irma was the longest-lasting powerful hurricane or typhoon ever recorded, worldwide. Widespread flooding and wind damage have been reported across most of the Florida Peninsula and Southern Georgia.
With over 180 mph gust of winds and the longest cyclone around the globe, Hurricane Irma caused many lives, destroyed homes, government buildings, and businesses. As the rain continues, many people are in danger with flooding across the Southeast U.S. The amount of people injured and dead is still unknown, as death toll rises. The estimate overall cost of property damages and lost businesses may well rise up to hundreds of billions of dollars.
You Can Help By Making a Donation Today!
The American Red Cross is working around the clock to help the thousands of people whose lives have been devastated by these recent catastrophic hurricanes.
Click HERE to make a donation.
Flood Facts and Safety Tips
The SERVPRO System is prepared to handle any size disaster and help make it, "Like it never even happened."
Floods rank as one of the most common, costly, and deadly natural disasters in the United States. No matter where you live, flooding happens in many ways due to overflow of streams, rivers, lakes or oceans or as a result of excessive rain. Even minor floods have the potential to cause major damage to a structure when not treated quickly and properly, and the cleanup is often an overwhelming tasks. A flooding event may occur over a long period and could last days, weeks or longer.
Here are a few Flood Facts provided by FEMA:
- Flash floods can bring walls of water from 10 to 20 feet high.
- Flooding can be caused by spring thawing (snow and frozen grounds melting in the spring), heavy rains, snow melt runoffs, flash floods, and mudflows.
- Floods are the most widespread natural disaster aside from wildfires.
- A 2,000-square foot home undergoing 12 feet of water damage could cost more than $50,000 to repair.
Here are a few supplies you need to prepare for a flood:
- Stock up on First Aid items
- Non-perishable foods
- Three gallons of water per person for 3 days
- Battery operated radio for weather reports
- Extra batteries
- Personal hygiene necessities
Understanding the common types of Floods
Flash Floods - are the most dangerous kind of flood, combining the nearly unstoppable force of flood waters with deadly unpredictability and speed. Just six inches of fast-moving flood water can knock a grown man off his feet, and just two feet of water can cause a car to begin floating.
Coastal Flooding - is the result of strong onshore winds pushing on water from the ocean or bay. These can be classified as storm surges and greatly affect homes along the coast. Raising a home may help prevent flooding.
Urban flooding is specific in the fact that the cause is a lack of drainage in an urban area. As there is little open soil that can be used for water storage nearly all the precipitation needs to be transport to surface water or the sewage system.
River Flood - occurs when a river overflows its banks. This happens for a few different reasons. One, lots of rain. Whether it’s tropical systems (tropical storms, hurricanes, etc.) reaching land.
SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. If your home or business suffers from flood damage, our trained technicians has the expertise, resources and equipment to handle the job.
Have Storm or Flood Damage?
Call Us Today (707) 588-8226
SERVPRO Board Up and Other Services
When fire has finally been put out or the storm has passed, the aftermath can be a traumatic experience. Often times, the damages resulting from busted doors, broken windows, cracked walls or a damaged roof will require emergency board up and tarp to secure the property from further damage. Whether the damage occurred from a fire, wind damage, fallen tree or forced of entry, your primary focus should be safety and to take action immediately to protect your property and valuable asset. By leaving your doors or windows unattended, it can lead to further damage from weather, exposure, vandalism, and theft.
At SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park, we specialize in cleaning, remediating and rebuilding properties. If your structure is damaged, our trained and experienced technicians can effectively board up doors, garage, windows, wall openings, roofs, etc. We have the equipment and resources to board up residential and commercial needs. As a locally owned and trusted restoration company, we can provide 24-hour emergency service and are dedicated to responding immediately to emergency conditions. Our goal is to help minimize the interruption to your life and quickly make it, “Like it never even happened!”
SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park professionals can also perform other restoration services to secure your home or business and restore it to its preloss condition in a quick and professional manner.
- Board Up
- Biohazard Cleanup
- Carpet and Installation
- Content Move-outs
- Content Storage
- Document Restoration
- Dry Cleaning
- Drywall Installation
- Drywall Removal
- Electronics Restoration
- Emergency Fencing
- Fallen Tree Removal
- Fine Art Restoration
- Furniture Restoration
- General Cleaning
- Hardwood Floor Repair
- HVAC Cleaning Services
- Portable Power
- Post Construction Cleaning
- Roof Tarp
- Temporary Power
If You Have Questions or Need Help, Call Us Today – (707) 588-8226
Fast Water Extraction Mitigates Water Damage in Rohnert Park
When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial.
Water damage can originate by different sources such as floods, broken pipes, leaky faucet or toilet overflow. If left untreated, water damage can lead to mold or other bacterial growth. Water damage can be challenging depending on the severity of the damage and the amount of water that caused the damage. Whether it is from a clean or outside source, water can soak your carpet, padding, and surrounding walls and can cause costly damage that can be difficult to repair without complete replacement if not handled right away. If you find yourself in a situation that involves standing water in your home, it is imperative that standing water is removed completely to help lessen the damage and/or limits a secondary damage. Hiring a water restoration company like SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park can make the cleanup process easier to handle. Our technicians has the training, equipment, and expertise to handle your restoration and cleaning needs.
Water damage can do so much harm in a short period of time. Whether you have an inch, a foot of water or more, the quicker you respond to water damage, the less damage your property will endure. SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert can quickly respond to water damage emergencies. Our technicians use powerful extraction pumps to remove the standing water. We also use special moisture readers to detect moisture that has made its way behind walls and below flooring. After we removed all the water, our technicians will use powerful fans and dehumidifier to dry out all affected areas.
As a locally owned and operated business, we can provide 24-hour emergency service and are dedicated to responding to any size disaster. Our goal is to help minimize the interruption in your life and restore your home to its pre-water damage state. We make disasters, “Like it never even happened.”
Have Water or Flood Damage?
Call Us Today - 707-588-8226
Understanding the Different Types of Smoke Damage
Knowing the different types of smoke and their behavior patterns are vital to proper cleanup and restoration.
After the fire truck leaves, your Rohnert Park home likely suffers from a serious smoke and soot damage. Smoke damage can exist in many forms and each type can have different levels of impact on your property and require different method for restoration. Since smoke and soot is very invasive, they can penetrate into materials causing discoloration and odors, and can leave behind residue buildup. SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park professionals are thoroughly trained in fire cleanup and restoration. Our technicians know the different types of smoke and their behavior patterns, which is vital to proper restoration.
Smoke and Soot Facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
- Dry Smoke Residue– Dry smoke residue occurs during fast burning fires that burn at a high temperature. Dry smoke residue is generally dry, powdery, and does not smear much.
- Wet Smoke Residue-Wet smoke residue occurs from smoldering fires with low heat. Dry smoke residue is sticky with strong smoke odors. During cleaning, wet smoke residue can smear, making cleanup more difficult.
- Protein Residue– Protein residue is essentially invisible and it can discolor paints, varnishes, and other finishes. Although this residue is not very visible, it has a very strong smell.
- Fuel / Oil Residue– Fuel oil residue rarely comes from fires unless petroleum products were being stores on site. More commonly fuel and oil residue restoration comes from furnace puff backs that cause a fuel oil soot. This can be relatively sticky and difficult to clean.
- Other Types – Tear gas, fingerprinting powder and fire extinguisher residue.
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call Us Today – (707) 588-8226
Wildfire Prevention and Safety Tips
If your home or business is damaged by wildfires, SERVPRO of Petaluma / Rohnert Park can help restore your property to preloss condition.
Wildfires can occur at anytime and anywhere throughout the year. Late summer and early fall is typically the peak time for wildfires in California. People that live or work in an area prone to wildfires are at greater risk. Wildfires sometimes start naturally by heat ignited from sun light or lightning strikes. However, majority of the wildfires in the U.S. are caused by humans. Some human-caused fires result from campfires left unattended, negligently discarded cigarettes or intentional acts of arson. A wildfire can move as fast as 6.5 miles per hour in forest and 14 miles an hour in grassland, consuming trees, homes, natural resources, humans and everything in its path.
By working together, we can make our residents and neighborhood safer from wildfires by taking safety precautions. Here are some wildfire safety tips to help prevent wildfire from occurring.
Wildfire Safety Tips
- Clear leaves and other debris from gutters, eaves, porches and decks. Remove dead vegetation from under your deck and within 10 feet of the house. This prevents embers from igniting your home.
- Remove anything stored underneath decks or porches. Screen or box-in areas below patios and decks with wire mesh to prevent debris from accumulating.
- Ensure flammable materials (firewood stacks, propane tanks, dry vegetation) are more than 30 feet from your home or business's foundation and outbuildings.
- Wildfire can spread to tree tops. If you have trees on your property, prune so the lowest branches are 6 to 10 feet from the ground.
- Keep your lawn hydrated and maintained. If it is brown, cut it down to reduce fire intensity. Dry grass and shrubs are fuel for wildfire.
- Inspect shingles or roof tiles. Replace or repair shingles that are loose or missing to prevent ember penetration.
- Cover exterior attic vents with metal wire mesh no larger than 1/8 inch to prevent sparks from entering the home.
- Enclose eaves and screen soffit vents using 1/8 mesh metal screening to prevent ember entry.
SERVPRO of Petaluma / Rohnert Park specializes in fire and water damage restoration. We have the specific damage restoration training, personnel, and equipment and can quickly restore your home to pre-fire condition. Call us today 707-588-8226.
SERVPRO Franchise Offers Local Businesses Free Emergency Ready Profile
Please call SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park to schedule your no cost assessment of your facility at 707-588-8226.
When Disaster Strikes, You Can be Ruined or You Can BE READY!
The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile is a start up approach that provides the critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services. It is designed to serve as a quick reference of important building and contact information.
Did you know that as many as 50% of businesses close down following a disaster? Of the businesses that do survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. And knowing you are "Ready for whatever happens" speaks trust to your clients and employees that in the event your business is affected by a disaster, they don't necessarily have to be.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
No one plans on a disaster, but you can plan to be, "Ready for whatever happens".
Preparation is key component for making it through any size disaster, whether it's a small leak, a large fire or an area flood. The best time for planning for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens. No one ever plans on a disaster, but you can plan for it. Now is the time to ask yourself, "Are you Ready for whatever happens?"
SERVPRO of Petaluma/Rohnert Park offers a complimentary assessment of your facility that can minimize business interruption in the event of a disaster. This assessment provides the critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services and serves as a quick reference for important building and contact information. We would like to offer you this FREE service at your place of business. It's called SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile (ERP), and here are some advantages of the program:
- Includes a concise Profile Document that contains the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- Offers a guide to help you get back into your building safely following a disaster.
- Provides facility details such a shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information.
- Identifies the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider
Call us Today to Get Started 707-588-8226.